Sunday, March 13, 2011

Evidence for a Creator. 1

Lately I have found myself diving into the theology and evidence of God. Not just the God of the Christian faith, but just the obvious evidence for an Intelligent Being capable of creating Earth. I had found myself growing more and more frustrated with the hollow, rhetoric, debates by atheists against Christianity. Why are we debating Christian doctrine with people that don’t even look at the evidence and acknowledge that there is a God? If people don’t believe there is a God, how can we argue on the basis of God’s will and his all knowing intelligence?

I have been reading ANSWERING THE NEW ATHEISM (Scott Hahn and Benjamin Wiker). It also points out the same point that I just did by quoting St. Thomas Aquinas as stating; “There is no sense arguing on the basis of Catholic doctrine or Holy Scripture with someone who accepts neither as true”. The book also backed up my idea that we have to argue solely on the basis of reason alone. This is just found on page 8 of the book. Seeing that they had the same idea I had I knew I would find value in reading the book. I am still in the midst of reading and currently on page 92.

The most compelling case I have found in the book is the fact that our intelligence seems to be enough to encompass the “clues” (or revelations) in nature for there being an intelligent creator. The example given in ANSWERING THE NEW ATHEISM is that of the writings of Euclid. Euclid, a mathematician approximately 300bc, expressed many mathematical elements that at the time of writing had no known correlation to nature. It was purely a human discipline without reason in science. Yet when you compare to Newton’s (17-18th century AD) writings we see that they very much correlate to the law’s of nature.

So why was human man given the ability to discern the exact mathematics that we found out nearly 2000 years later correlate so directly to the law’s of nature around us? This is not even a question that can be answered by the theory of evolution (this does not discount the entire theory of evolution, just intelligent part of it). A non-theist evolutionist view says that man’s intelligence comes from the idea that creatures need to adapt to survive. This makes sense for the idea of learning to use tools to farm, catch food, build houses, and to travel faster. This however does not answer the questions to why we look at perfect circles, perfect numbers, square roots, etc. These mathematical theories do not help people survive, yet they do help us understand the world we live in, even though we didn’t know this when the ideas started to flourish.

This book has had many other great points but so far this one has captured my interest. Maybe it is because of my natural ability to think abstract. It makes me a natural for sarcastic and cynical quips, but how does this help me (and my following generations) survive? It doesn’t. It does however give me a thirst to learn about the evidence of a Creator. Maybe that is why I have these thoughts, so that I may pursue Him. I don’t know what the Spirit uses to reveal the Truth to everyone, but this is His mode of revealing himself to me.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. One of the podcasts/websites I've learned a lot from in many matters of theology & philosophy (including the existence of God) is Stand to Reason. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete